Did we miss something?  Ask it and we can add it to the list!

Concealed Carry
Buying and Selling Firearms
Illinois Gun Law
Gun Dealer

Concealed Carry FAQ

-How much does it cost?

The fee from the State of Illinois is $153.53 if you pay with a credit card or $151 if paid with an electronic check.  That’s the $150 fee for the permit and additional funds for processing your payment.  Out of state residents will pay $300 plus processing fees.

 -How long will it take before I get my CCL?

Up to 3 months if you submit your electronic fingerprints (here is a link to the approved vendor list from the state) and up to 4 months if you do not submit fingerprints.  According to ISP, prints from a vendor not on this list will not be accepted.

-How do I apply

For now, the application must be completed online here.  You will need a current version of Java and Internet Explorer to ensure that everything works as well as possible.  If you do not have a computer or aren’t too handy with them, we can assist you with the application process at no charge.  The Illinois State Police put together a handy guide for the application process here.

-How much training do I need?

Illinois requires 16 hours.  You can earn prior training credit for up to 8 hours.

-What previous training counts towards my 16 hour requirement?

Illinois counts concealed carry permits from UT, FL, NV, MO, KY, and MI, Illinois Hunter Safety, and the Chicago Firearm Safety Course for 4 hours.  NRA Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Active, Retired, or Honorably discharged members of the Armed Forces, and Prior Law Enforcement/Corrections firearms training count for 8 hours of prior training.  These can be combined for up to 8 hours of credit.  You can find the current list of prior training credit here.

-Where can’t I carry?

There are 23 places named by the CCW Act where carrying a firearm is prohibited.  These places include any property they control as well as parking lots and common areas.  There is a safe harbor provision for all except one (#22, Nuclear Sites).  That means you can carry your firearm on your person while in your vehicle.  If you get out for any reason, you will need to unload and store your firearm first.  Now, here’s the list:

  1. Schools
  2. Pre-school or child care facilities (this includes in-home day care centers when children are present)
  3. Any building controlled by the state executive or legislative branch and any property or parking area they control.  This doesn’t include property regulated by the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) or other public hunting areas.
  4. Any building designated for matters before a court
  5. Any building or portion of the building controlled by local government
  6. Prisons and Correctional facilities
  7. Any hospital, mental health facility, or healthcare facility
  8. Any public transportation
  9. Any building that serves alcohol if the sales are more than 50% of the gross receipts for the prior three months. (In English: bars.  It is up to the owner to post a no carry sign on bars, but it is safe to assume that any bar gets more than half of their money from alcohol sales)
  10. Any gathering or special event that requires a permit from the local government.  This doesn’t apply if you have to walk through that event to get to your home, place of business, or vehicle while you are on the way to one of those.
  11. Any property or building that has been issued a Special Event Retailer’s License during the time that sales are allowed.  (Think, the beer tent at your town fair)
  12. Any public playground
  13. Any public park, athletic area, or athletic facility under the control of a park district or municipality
  14. Any real property under the control of the Cook County Forest Preserve District
  15. Any property or facility owned or controlled by a community college, college, or university, including parking lots, sidewalks, and common areas
  16. Casinos
  17. Stadiums
  18. Public Libraries
  19. Airports
  20. Amusement Parks
  21. Zoos and Museums
  22. Any property regulated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (no safe haven exemption for these places)
  23. Any place where firearms are prohibited under federal law.
  24. (bonus prohibited areas) Any place that posts the sign approved by the state.  Currently they are 4” x 6” and look like this:

-What happens if I carry in a prohibited area?

As a responsible firearm owner and concealed carry permit holder, you should follow the law at all times!  If you ignore one of the signs posted above or carry into a prohibited area, sign or not, here is what can happen:
-1st offense: Class A misdemeanor, $150 fine.
-2nd offense: Class A misdemeanor, $150 fine, and suspension of your CCL for up to 6 months.
-3rd offense: Class 4 felony, $150 fine, and permanent revocation of your CCL.

-How do I renew/change my address/get a replacement card?

Everything is taken care of through the IL Concealed Carry site.  When you log in, you will find the links to get these done at the bottom of the page.  Keep in mind that for name/address changes, you will need to get a notarized statement that you have changed your name and/or address.  For lost/stolen/damaged licenses, you will need a notarized statement or police report.  Renewal will require the 3 hour refresher course, which you will be able to find on our training page.  Renewal costs $150 and address/name and lost/stolen/damaged replacements cost $75.

-I live in another state, can I carry with my out of state license?

The short answer is no.  The long answer is that you are allowed to carry with an out of state permit as long as you remain in your vehicle.  If you stop for any reason, you are required to unload and secure your firearm.  If you wish to carry outside of your vehicle, you will need to get an Illinois permit, which will run you $300 and require 16 hours of training.

-I’d like to read the whole law (HB183), where can I find it?

Right here!  We recommend you have some 5-hour energy handy.

FOID (Firearm Owner’s IDentification card) FAQ

-Who needs a FOID card?

Anyone who purchases or possesses firearms, ammunition, stun guns, tasers, auto knives, or high velocity air guns.

-How much does it cost and how long are they valid?

The cost is $10 and the card is valid for 10 years.

-How do I apply?

The application is online here.  Need help?  Stop by the shop and we will help you with the application, including getting your picture done, for no charge.

-How long will it take to receive my FOID card?

The FOID act requires the state to make a decision on your FOID in 60 days.  We’ve heard of cards being received as quick as 2 weeks and as long as 8 months.  Plan ahead and get your card!

-Do I need a FOID to get my Concealed Carry License?

Yes!  The state is nice enough to allow you to apply for your CCL and FOID at the same time though.

-Who should get a FOID card?

Everyone!  For $10, why not?  Even if you don’t own a gun, you never know when you may change your mind.  You can also borrow firearms from your friends for a range trip and buy ammunition with your own FOID card.

-I just moved to Illinois, how long do I have to get my FOID card?

60 days after you obtain an Illinois Driver’s License or ID card.

-How long is a FOID card valid?

10 years.

-Where can I find the FOID act?

Right here.  Hopefully you speak legalese…

Buying and Selling Firearms FAQ

The state police put together a handy pamphlet here.

-Can individuals buy and sell firearms? (person to person transfers)

Yes.  Individuals may purchase firearms from another individual, but as of January 2014, you MUST complete a background check on any firearm buyer.  You can get that done here.  You also must record your confirmation info as well as your bill of sale and keep the record for 10 years.

-What if the buyer lives in another state?

Firearms CANNOT be transferred across state lines by individuals.  If you buy from or sell to an individual in another state, you will need to work with an FFL (firearm dealer).  Gunbroker keeps a decent list of dealers here.  Pistols will need to be transferred through a dealer in the buyer’s state of residence.  Long guns can be transferred by a dealer in either state (Illinois law only allows dealers to transfer long guns to states that border Illinois though).

-Where can I find a bill of sale to use for firearms?

We put together a form that you can download here.  You’ll need a PDF reader like Adobe.

Illinois Gun Law FAQ

-Does Illinois ban any guns?

Yes, but not many.  The only commonly accessible firearms that are banned are ones with an alloy frame with a melting point below 800°.  Things like Hi-Point and Heritage pistols are what qualify.  Here is the statute, subsection (h).

-How can I legally transport my firearm?

The easiest way is unloaded and enclosed in a case.  Unloaded means empty chamber (or cylinder) and empty magazine well.  Loaded magazines are just fine, but not in the gun during transport.  You don’t have to toss everything in the trunk, disassemble, carry the ammo in a separate car, hire a courier to meet you at the range, or any such nonsense.  The Illinois State Police created a helpful flyer as well.

-What kind of case do I need?

Illinois law says a case is something that can hold the gun, a case, box, shipping container, or pretty much anything that the gun will fit into.  The Illinois Wildlife Code is more specific and says that a case is a container specifically designed to hold a gun and can be fastened with no portion of the gun exposed.

-What are the waiting periods for firearms and when do they start?

24 hours for long guns (rifles and shotguns), 72 hours for everything else (pistols, revolvers, receivers, frames, and even pistol grip shotguns).  The waiting period starts when a deal is reached to purchase or acquire the firearm.  It is up to each dealer how they choose to start the waiting period as long as the minimum time is met.  Our policy is to begin the waiting period after the first portion of the background check paperwork (4473) is completed.

-Are there any exceptions for the waiting period?

Law Enforcement officers purchasing a firearm for duty use can receive an exception with a letter from their Chief stating that the firearm is for duty purposes.

Gun Dealer FAQ

-Do I really have to use a certain color ink on the paperwork?


-Can I abbreviate?

Absolutely, as long as you don’t make up a crazy abbreviation that only you will understand.

-What are the answers to the yes/no questions?

Sorry, but we can’t help you answer the questions.  Just don’t forget to read all of the questions carefully.

-What is a UPIN?

The UPIN is a Unique Personal ID Number that is issued by the national background check system (NICS).  Illinois uses their own system, so you won’t have one of these.

-Do I need to put my social security number on the form?

It is optional.  Up to you if you wish to or not.  We maintain our records securely to keep your information safe.  In the event a dealer closes shop or changes license type, they are required to give the ATF all of their records.  That’s the only time someone outside of the company will see them, other than regular ATF inspections.

-Where can I register my gun?

Illinois does not have a gun registry.  The only place where the sale of your firearm is recorded is the form that you fill out with a dealer.

-I made a mistake on my paperwork, what do I do?

The ATF is ok with mistakes as long as you don’t scribble them out.  They want to see what you did.  Simply draw a single line though the mistake, initial and date by it.  Some dealers may require you to complete a new form.  That is up to each dealer.


Piasa Armory
3685 E. Broadway
Alton, IL  62002
(618) 433-AR15
Mon-Sat 10a-7p
Sun 12p-6p

Creating a culture of responsible firearm ownership

%d bloggers like this: